Fitness has progressed so much in the last decade from workout DVDs and jazzercise to cycle and yoga studios to boot camps and CrossFit boxes and now to the future of virtual reality. Yes, you read that correctly, virtual reality (VR). It is now being used in the fitness industry to be a tool and source of inspiration to get people excited about working out and being physically active. VR is being used to connect to a larger crowd in the comfort of their own homes. There is a new bike, Peloton Bike, which takes indoor cycling experience to the next level. The bike is designed with a touch screen that is wireless, has Bluetooth, and a front-facing camera that allows the rider to experience live and on-demand rides at the touch of their fingertips; sounds intriguing right? There are definitely some pro’s and con’s about this new piece of equipment.
- No excuses: no more saying you are too busy to make it to the spin class, no more saying you don’t want to have to leave your house, and no more feeling self-conscious about spinning next to others!
- Real-time: metrics and leaderboard. The touchscreen displays your heart rate, and exercise output. The leaderboard allows you to compare your ride to others that are also doing it at the same time
- Lack of motivation: being around others when you are working pushes you to work harder and when you are on your own with only a monitor in front of you, you may not feel the healthy peer pressure.
- Lack of community: going to classes to meet people and make friends that are have similar interests as you is one of the benefits of going to a studio and not attending a virtual class.
- $$$: The bike comes at a costly price of $2000 and a cost of $39 per month for the classes; that adds up…
The reviews of the Peloton Bike are mostly positive with nearly 800 reviews on their website with an overall rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars. The 1-3 star reviews most discussed malfunctions and frustrations when working and learning how to use new technology. The biggest complaint of the bike was not being able to free ride without the classes or scenery. The tops reviews raved about loving the flexibility of being able to take a class whenever they wanted and loved being able to have an effective workout at home. A majority of the reviewers would recommend the Peloton Bike.
If this sounds like something of interest, then go for it and tell us how it is! We would love to hear from you and virtual reality experience! To learn more about this new fitness phenomenon click here.
Article Written By GUADS Staff Member: Kaitlyn