Meditation is one topic that flows freely throughout the world of health and wellness. Many hear this, but do not know where or how to begin.
One major tip for beginners looking to start meditating is to start small. Start with one to two minutes at least once a day. Many people want to begin a new lifestyle behavior starting at volumes larger than their current behaviors which makes it extremely difficult. For example, when someone that has been sedentary and has not had a healthy diet all their life is trying to lose weight. Changing all aspects at once will make the change extremely difficult. So start small, acknowledge that starting small is the right thing to do, and enjoy your small session.
Helpful Beginner Meditation Tips
- Starting small makes it easier to meditate for longer periods later on. Doing this everyday and adding it to your daily routine will make it even more of a habit.
2. Meditate in the same environment and context everyday to make it stick even more. For example make it a habit first thing in the morning right when you wake up, or right before you leave for work for the day.
3. Pick a similar time, place, and situation every day.
4. Increase the time you meditate for in small increments, starting wit two minutes for at least the first week. Then move to four minutes, then to six.
5. The more you practice meditating, the more you benefit from it! Don’t look at it as a challenge to get through for just a month, but a habit to keep for a lifestyle.
6. Remember every journey has its challenges, every session will not be perfect.
Guided meditations are a great way to start, and youtube is of course an amazing resources. Here is a link to some great guided meditation channels on youtube.
Article written by GUADS member Breanna, with contributions from www.mindbodygreen.com